Facts and Figures
According to ARDA’s State of the Industry report from 2010, there were 1,548 timeshare resorts in the U.S. in 2009. There were also 7.2 million intervals owned. Timeshare occupancy remains at a high level of 79.7%
- Timeshare sales volume totaled $6.3 billion in 2009.
- Approximately 306,200 timeshare intervals were sold in 2009.
- The average price of a timeshare week sold during 2009 was $20,468.
- The average price of a points-based product was $22,243.
- The average price of a weeks-based product was $18,999.
According to the ARDA AIF Vacation Timeshare Owners Report, Edition 2009:
- The average age of a timeshare owner is 48, while 58% of new purchasers are under the age of 45.
- The average household income for all owners is $92,405, and recent purchasers have an average household income of $94,933.
The strongest motivations for purchasing timeshare according to owners:
- 93% certainty of quality accommodations
- 90% saving on future vacation costs
- 90% credibility of the timeshare company
D.K. Shifflet and Associates, a leading travel and tourism research company, conducted a study in 2010 comparing timeshare and hotel satisfaction rates. Timeshares were rated higher than hotels in overall satisfaction, service, and value.
Source: Demographic Study of the Characteristics, Behaviors and Attitudes of the North American Member Base. Study commissioned by RCI and conducted by D.K. Shifflet and Associates along with PKF Hospitality Research.
- 86% of all timeshare owners have a positive ownership experience.
- 69% of all timeshare owners would recommend their timeshare resort.
Recent timeshare purchasers are younger, wealthier, and more satisfied than ever, priming the industry for continued growth. As the vacation ownership industry continues to grow and evolve, RCI will be there at every step. Offering more than just exchange, RCI is a provider you can trust. Our people will leverage their experience and the innovative tools we provide to help you achieve your business goals. As RCI leads the way into the future, we hope you will join us.